Wednesday 4 March 2015

BEING INTOLERANT CAN STILL BE JUST AS FUN

I love my food. I always have, and I feel so lucky that I am one of the lucky people in the world where food is not a major issue.

Although until recently, I discovered to find that I have a Gluten Intolerance. If you don't know what this is exactly, I'd suggest you look it up as it is quite embarrassing to say on here! But anyway, this means that I can't eat any foods with Wheat, Barley or Rye in it.

I know right, that is a lot of food out of the picture!

All the main fibres I used to be getting into my diet I can no longer have, such as:

  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Cereal
  • Pizza!!

But wait, there is a solution! 

See in this day and age, as technology advances, so too does our brainy knowledge on how we can increase the joys in our day-to-day lives. Now if you are gluten-intolerant like me, there are ways around it.

I can still actually eat bread, pasta cereal and pizza.
Wait what?

Yes, by companies now using different types of flours in the foods, like rice flour, I can enjoy the same foods everyone else does, just from a different source.

But the best thing is, it is a lot more healthy for you too! The price is a bit more expensive- and this was a real shock to me at first when I wanted to buy a loaf of gluten-free bread that was nearly 4 POUNDS!!
But once you are used to it, you feel a lot more energised in the day, more awake and active, and less stodgy. 

Today, most stores will have a special Free From section, containing all of our wonderful treats that we can explore! Even my local petrol station now has a small gluten free area incase I'm on the run and need to grab something.

And if you thought not being able to eat pizza is bad, you'd be happy to hear I can still eat this. Dominoes do their very own gluten-free pizza! As well as many other Italian restaurants I have recently been to. Of course, you can see a big difference in this pizza, where the crunch of the base might be more evident then the oozing soft base. Yet it is food and it tastes great, so I'm just going to have to deal with it and learn to love it.

These gluten-free foods contain far more nutrients and less fat and sugars, so you might be spending more but wow you are not spending this on hundreds of calories.

Of course, food is a necessity, and calories shouldn't always be seen as a bad thing. We need them in our diet, as we wouldn't live without them. With a woman's daily intake being around 1600 calories, we just need to be aware of when we are going over this, and how we can tackle this.

EXERCISE!

As I always say, sweat is a sign of your fat crying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment