Monday 9 February 2015

TREAT YOUR BRUSHES LIKE YOUR HAIR

One thing you need to ensure that you do is clean your make up brushes! So many times you will forget or think you haven't used them very often, however the build up or dirt and bacteria really escalates and this poses as a huge threat for your skin. 
If you already have acne-prone skin, covering up your blemishes while using dirty brushes is not going to do you any good. And the worst thing is.. you can't see the dirt from a glimpse of the brushes!

Step 1.

Run the hot tap on each individual brush before you begin cleaning properly. Rub the hairs brushes between your fingers but make sure this is done lightly so no damage is made to the brush!

Then, using luke warm water, put your brushes in the sink to rinse, and leave them for a few minutes.


Step 2.

Once these are nice and warm, apply a small amount of shampoo into your hand and take a couple of brushes at a time and lightly squeeze and rub the shampoo into the brushes. Make sure the brush is coated to fully clean these.

Then put them back in the water for a further few minutes.
Ew look at all that dirt!

Step 3.

Now you want to rinse off all that excess dirt under the warm tap again, following the first step of rubbing the dirt out of the brush.
These should now be clean, and you can check by running it under the tap and the water is clear.


Now leave them on a place that allows the brushes to dry naturally. I used a towel on top of a radiator. These shouldn't take too long to dry. Leave them for 10 minutes and then lightly brush the bristles back and forth over the back of your hand to help the drying process and keeping the formation of the brush.

These shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes to dry, and there you have it! 
A nice set of clean brushes.


I make sure to clean my brushes ideally once a month, depending on how often I have used these brushes. If you are lucky enough to have perfect skin then you might not see the point in doing this, but I have been one of the unlucky people to be effected by moderate-severe acne.
Looking at my face now you wouldn't think it, and I've had comments from people saying I have lied about having acne in the past (which I don't know what anyone would get out of this)... but having this acne made me a lot more aware of how I was treating my skin and ensuring I kept a good cleaning regime.

Although I still get the odd spot or two now, it was nothing compared to what my skin was like before. I tried everything... but I had to result to the only other option of taking Roaccutane.

I will be making a post discussing my experience of acne and Roaccutane, with the plus and down sides of being on it, so keep an eye out if this would interest you.
I would definitely recommend showing this to others who suffer from spotty skin, as it has really changed my life and I would love to share my experience about the process.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I need to do this more often your way seems easier than the way I was doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! It's really a quick task to do and once you get the hang of it it doesn't take you long at all :)

    ReplyDelete